Upcoming macroeconomic events, May/June 2017
Do you write or edit portfolio manager commentaries? Do you want to stay on top of the macroeconomic events that shape your day-to-day life as a financial services marketer?
If so, here are the big macro events that the Ext. Marketing team is keeping an eye on over the coming weeks.
- Europe will announce its consumer confidence and business confidence indicators on May 30. Both indicators increased in April. Consumer and business confidence are key to economic strength. Given that Europe’s economy has been stagnant and largely supported by central bank stimulus measures, improvement in these indicators could go a long way towards signalling a stronger economy
- Canada will announce its real gross domestic product (“GDP”) for the first quarter on May 31. Real GDP measures the value of economic output adjusted for inflation, giving investors an understanding of the overall strength of the Canadian economy. While February’s numbers were somewhat muted, Canada has experienced a recent string of positive economic data
- U.S. unemployment rate for May will be announced on June 2. A declining unemployment rate is indicative of an improving economy and business sentiment. More people employed also leads to higher consumption and savings – important factors in growing GDP
- Canada will announce its housing starts for May on June 8. All eyes are focused on the housing and mortgage market in Canada, particularly in cities such as Vancouver and Toronto. Strong housing starts data signal optimism about the economy and could support more sustainable price growth in the real estate market
- Canada’s unemployment rate for May will be announced on June 9. The unemployment rate hit an eight and a half year low in April at 6.5%, pointing to a healthier economy. An improvement in the unemployment rate bodes well for many facets of the economy and GDP growth
For investment commentary support (including monthly and quarterly commentaries, as well as MRFPs), contact us today at 416.925.1700, 844.243.1830 or email@example.com.